We are well into January now and perhaps you have already begun, but now is the time to clean out your pantry and re-stock with cleansing, healthy, and “clean eating” kitchen staples! Since RaqiSa Fitness is a heart healthy, Mediterranean Inspired brand, I created a list to help you get started. It is always exciting to consider the many varieties one can enjoy without feeling deprived. And learning to cook your own foods will help you achieve your weight-management and healthy living goals. Here are some tips and considerations to keep you motivated:
Remember that broths and herbs are low calorie flavor enhancers. Adding fresh lemon to nearly any salad with a bit of olive oil will go a long way, too! Don’t be afraid to eat garlic, onions, and leeks, because they include so many health benefits and they enhance foods so well! And guess what? Parsley aids with digestion and will freshen your breath! (*Try our Quinoa Tabouli Recipe!) Remember, these aren’t “diet” foods. These are real foods for you to enjoy as a part of healthy living. I call it RaqiSa Living…because healthy living is more than just committing to a work out; it has to be an over-all lifestyle, which includes clean and healthy eating! Stay with us on our blog for more healthy eating ideas and recipes, plus – great fitness! Review the list below and consider these motivational tips to help get you started:
- Plan ahead your weekly menu and try to buy accordingly.
- Only buy as many fruits and vegetables as you can eat. Otherwise they will go to waste. (With any excess vegetables or fruits you do have, prepare a cleansing smoothie.)
- Watch your salt! Buy all nuts without salt. A single handful of nuts eaten throughout the day as your snack will go a long way – try it!
- When possible, buy organic. *Note that I do have WHITE rice, which is used in many of the traditional Lebanese recipes passed down to me. We use a small portion so keep this in mind and if there is an organic brand you can find, then this is great. (I like “Organic California Basmati White Rice.”)
- Peel, cut, then freeze bananas, or any additional fruit, then add them to your favorite protein shakes or clean smoothies.
- Always keep an apple nearby for when you are hungry.
- Pre-squeeze all your lemons and keep them in the fridge for easy access.
- Drink A LOT of water…and enjoy with the freshly squeezed lemon.
- Create a bed-time ritual, which includes not eating too late, and get plenty of sleep!
- Join groups or recruit friends and family to SUPPORT you!
Vegetables & Greens
- Leafy Greens
- Bell Peppers
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Spaghetti Squash
- Brown and White Rice
- Whole Grain Bread with Seeds
- Whole Wheat Arabic Bread
Beans & Legumes
- Lentils (Dried)
- Fava Beans (Canned, aka Foul Mudammas)
- Garbanzo Beans (Dried and Canned)
Nuts & Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Fresh Almond Butter
- Olive Oil
- Organic Butter
- Plain Low Fat Yogurt
- Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
- Lebni (a thick yogurt)
- Pasture-Raised Eggs
- Grass-Fed Beef
- Organic Chicken Broth
- Organic Beef Broth
- Organic Vegetable Broth
- All Spice
- Cayenne Pepper
- Dried Mint
- Dried Dill
- Dried Cilantro
- Dried Rosemary
- Sumac (Middle Eastern Stores)
- Za’atar (Middle Eastern Stores)
Fresh Herbs & Cooking Accents
- Sweet Potatoes
- Red Potatoes
- Pure Maple Syrup
RaqiSa Fitness is the creator of RaqiSa Living and Belly Barre.
For more information about us, please visit: http://www.bellybarrefitness.com.